Hello and welcome to Decatur Orthodontics! We’re so excited to work with you towards a happier, healthier smile and can’t wait to get started. You’ve probably already put a lot of thought and research into your decision to pursue orthodontic treatment, but you may still be feeling a little unsure about what’s ahead, especially if you don’t know much about the process. This is totally normal! Most patients are nervous in the beginning, and that’s why we do our best to make the first visit as rewarding and stress-free as possible.
This initial consultation is one of the most important appointments you’ll have with us since it lays the foundation for your journey towards a straighter smile! We take your trust in us seriously and want you to feel confident in our care from start to finish. That begins with your first visit to our warm and welcoming office! To help you feel more confident, let’s take a closer look at what you can expect from this appointment—and what comes next!
How we’re keeping you safe
We’ve all been through a lot over the last few months, and although many things have changed, one thing you can count on is our commitment to your safety. This has always been a priority for our practice, and we’ve added the following infection control procedures during this pandemic to keep our patients and staff healthy and safe.
- We will ask you to use hand sanitizer when you enter the office. You will also find some in the reception area and other places in the office for you to use as needed.
- We will check your temperature using a touchless thermometer. If your temp is 100F or over, you will be asked to leave and not return for the specified 14-day quarantine period.
- We will no longer offer magazines, coffee, etc. in our reception area since these items are difficult to clean and disinfect.
- We will be sanitizing the reception area, all door handles, and any common areas after each patient and minimally each hour.
- Brush your teeth before you come! We have closed down our brushing station to limit any risk of exposure.
- We will be wearing a bit more gear to protect our team and our other patients. This includes thicker masks, surgical gowns, and face shields for certain procedures.
- Appointments will be managed to allow for social distancing between patients. This may mean you’re offered fewer options for scheduling your next appointment.
- There will be no access to the bathroom, be sure and prepare for that before your arrival!
Thank you in advance for your compliance with these precautions! With your cooperation, we’ll be able to keep you, our staff, and our community safe.
How does an orthodontic evaluation work?
After greeting you and completing any safety protocols, we’ll take a look at your medical and dental history. We’ll then collect a series of digital photographs and x-rays of your mouth to give us a better idea of what’s happening beneath the surface of your gums. You’ll then be introduced to Dr. Francis just before he conducts a thorough oral examination. He’ll ask some questions and listen to the concerns you have about your oral health while looking at the images we’ve already taken. This combined information will give him everything he needs to provide you with a diagnosis and treatment plan.
We want you to be fully informed and engaged with your treatment plan throughout the orthodontic process, so we’ll always take the time to ensure you understand each step. We will never rush you through your appointments, especially not the first one! Since there’s so much to cover, you can expect to spend about an hour with us during your consultation. This gives us plenty of time to touch on all the important topics, including:
- any questions or concerns you have about your smile
- if treatment is needed immediately or if waiting is the best course of action
- what treatment options would best serve your smile
- an estimate of how long we expect your treatment to take
- the total investment required for your new smile
- any payment or financing options we have available to you
What are the next steps?
Once you’ve decided on a treatment plan with Dr. Francis, we’ll schedule an appointment for you to come in and have your appliance fitted or placed. You’ll also be scheduled for follow-up visits every 8-12 weeks or so, depending on your particular case. During these appointments, Dr. Francis will ensure your teeth are moving safely. If you’re wearing braces, he’ll adjust them, and may also choose to change the wire.
These visits are an essential part of every orthodontic journey, so try your best to not miss any of them. We do know that sometimes life can get in the way so if you find yourself running late or can’t make an appointment for any reason, we simply ask that you let us know as soon as possible so we can reschedule you for another day. This will help us keep your treatment plan on track!
We believe every patient should have access to high-quality orthodontic care. That’s why we’re proud to provide affordable treatment options for every budget! During your consultation, we’ll outline all the fees associated with your treatment plan and ensure you understand each one before moving forward with the orthodontic process. We accept Visa, American Express, Discover Card and MasterCard for your convenience, and also offer in-house monthly payment plans. If your dental insurance covers orthodontic treatment, we’ll be happy to file your claims for you.
The perfect smile is waiting for you at Decatur Orthodontics
You only get one smile, and it’s too important to not trust anything less than an expert! Dr. Francis has been providing outstanding orthodontic care to patients of all ages since 2003. He’s also a board-certified orthodontist, one of just a small number of orthodontists in the United States to earn this certified degree of recognized excellence. When you choose our practice, you can be sure you’re putting your smile in the best hands! If you haven’t already scheduled your complimentary consultation, get in touch today and we’ll be happy to help you take the first step towards a healthier smile.