Follow These Tips for Your Best Results
Wearing a retainer after you complete orthodontic treatment is essential to maintaining your new smile! Follow these simple tips to guarantee the best results.
Wearing Your Retainer
- Wear your retainer at all times, until the doctor instructs otherwise.
- Take your retainer out when eating, and always put it back in its case! (Most appliances are lost in school lunchrooms or restaurants.)
- Initially, you may find it difficult to speak. Practice speaking, reading, or singing out loud to get used to it faster.
Caring for Your Retainer
- Clean your retainer thoroughly once a day with a toothbrush and hand soap. Use warm but not hot water. Brushing retainers removes the plaque and eliminates odors. Efferdent® or other orthodontic appliance cleaners can be used but do not take the place of brushing.
- When your retainer is not in your mouth, it should ALWAYS be in its case. Pets love to chew on them!
- Retainers are breakable, so treat yours with care. If your retainer gets lost or broken, call us immediately.
- Always bring your retainer to your appointments.
- Retainer replacements are expensive, but with proper care, they will last for years!
- Keep retainers away from hot water, hot car dashboards, pockets, the washing machine, and napkins.
- If you have any questions or concerns about your retainer, or you believe it needs adjusting, call us. Do not try to adjust it yourself.